Practical tips for protecting your eyes in the sun while on holiday
- Wear good quality sunglasses – choose ones that block 100 per cent of UV rays and most HEV rays. Beware, do not confuse the darkness of the tint with the level of protection. Choose sunglasses that have wide or wrap around legs with a close fit to ensure maximal protection.
- Wear a wide brimmed hat- this will not only protect your eyes but also the skin of the face and neck.
- If you are a contact lens wearer make sure you pack an adequate supply of lenses and cleansing solution. Never swim or shower wearing your contact lenses as this increases the chances of corneal infection and ulcers.
- As with all medication, if you are taking eye drops remember to have plenty supply for your holiday.
- If you have had a recent eye operation it is important to consult your ophthalmologist as to whether you are allowed to travel.
Very important: Always make sure you discuss and make decisions about your eye care based upon a formal appointment with your optician.
For more information and to book and eye examination please contact us:
McKenna & Scott Pinelands
Tel: 021 531 1953